This Easter Season I’ve been blessed to worship in a variety of the local churches of our district. I got to hear the end of a youth Sunday School class a few weeks ago and want to share my version of the lesson they had that teaches me a great deal about myself and what it is to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, as well as, Jesus’ witness in the larger world.
Evidently, the lesson had started out talking about the “grace of Jesus” and how the Resurrection shows us God’s gracious side. The question became: How do we show graciousness to each other?
- Remember the Jesus shows us grace (unmerited kindness). Jesus is the One who when asked will give us the power to show grace to another.
- Being graciousness is a choice. Always.
- Being gracious is not always going to get you any brownie points. But it is the right thing to do.
- I have to be gracious before I can reasonably expect the other person will be. (Ouch.)
- It is more important to show kindness than to be right, almost always.
- Being gracious is a subversive thing to do in most contexts. It is certainly counter-cultural.
- To be gracious you have to be strong. Being kind (like Jesus) is harder to do than kicking other people or acting out your own frustrations.
- Being gracious to others means that they might gradually become open to hearing about Jesus from you. If you are not gracious to them first, please do not try to push Jesus at them (because why should they listen and, besides, what sort of witness did you just give?)
- The early Church proved its love of Jesus and trust in the Resurrection by the ways they loved each other even when they disagreed. We are called to do the same.
The things you learn in God’s House.
Living God, you are gracious to all of us; thank you. Help me rise to a new life so that I can be gracious to others. Remind me of your goodness and graciousness to me and all you have made. In Christ, Amen.
If you would like to print or share this edition of Hello from Harvey,
you are encouraged to use this pdf:
Hello from Harvey – WHAT YOU OVERHEAR IN SUNDAY SCHOOL
If you would like to view past editions of Hello from Harvey, follow this link: